Swing dancing that encourages lead and follow partner dancing at its best. Although swing includes amalgamations and patterns that are familiar to many dancers, the essence of lead and follow must be maintained in and out of these patterns. The Strictly Swing division is not meant for long and extended pre-choreographed phrases. Choreography "on the fly" is the objective.
Drops, leans, circular movements and other partner weight supported moves are allowed as long as both partners keep at least one foot on the floor.
- There are 5 levels of Strictly Swing available to the dancers (Novice, Intermediate, Masters, Advanced and All-Star/Champions).
- Guidelines for expected swing content are 90% in Strictly Swing. It is at the judge’s discretion to determine that the swing content requirement has been met.
- Competitors that qualify for Master, may dance Masters and the skill level in which they qualify for provided it is with a different partner.
- The length of the performance is at the Event Organizer’s discretion.
- Costumes are not allowed. However, matching or complementary outfits suitable for social dancing are acceptable.
- This division will be danced in heats for preliminaries, semi-finals (if needed) and finals.
- Couples must maintain physical contact except for spins, turns, short break-a-ways, and recoveries.
- Pre-choreographed routines are not allowed.
- Dancers must maintain their own physical contact with the floor during partner weight supported moves.
- At most five partner weight support moves are permitted.
One entry is required and the price listed here is per couple, please make sure your partner purchases his/her pass for the weekend.
When dancing with someone with a different skill level, the couple must enter the higher of the two skill levels. For example, if a novice leader partners with an advanced follower, the couple should enter in the advanced division.
Important Note: You must purchase a Full Pass to compete.