This division is designed for new routine dancers to dance with their Professional partner. Anyone that has not placed top 5 at a NASDE event in the routine divisions may dance in this level as the Amateur. Each Professional may dance with up to 3 different Amateurs in this division. Classic Rules apply with the exception that lifts are allowed.
Swing dancing that allows choreography with an "on the ground" approach to the dance. Drops, leans, circular movements and other partner weight supported moves are allowed as long as both partners keep at least one foot on the floor.
- Guidelines for expected swing content in the Classic Division is at 80%. It is at the judge’s discretion to determine that the swing content requirement has been met.
- An individual is not permitted to dance twice within the same division.
- Performance time is a minimum of 2 minutes and maximum of 3 minutes (Time and judging starts at first movement of performance with or without music).
- Competitors select their own music.
- Costumes are allowed and encouraged.
- Separate entrances are permitted but the couple must physically join together within 32 beats of music.
- Couples must maintain physical contact except for spins, turns, short break-a-ways, and recoveries.
- Break-away in Classic Division to be no more than 8 beats of music.
- Dancers must maintain their own physical contact with the floor during partner weight supported moves.
- At most five partner weight supported moves are permitted throughout the performance.